Saturday, January 30, 2021

Wayback Machine

You may be familiar with the Wayback Machine from old "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" segments on the "Rocky and Bullwinkle" cartoon series (1959 to 1964). If not, I just discovered that there was an animated "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" movie in 2014 and another animated TV series in 2015. If you're not familiar with any of this, the Wayback Machine is basically a time machine that Mr. Peabody (who is a very smart dog) invented.

Now, what does this have to do with software development? Well, nothing specifically, unless you are trying to find a website that you *knew* existed once upon a time, and you even have a link for it ... but it's either gone or hijacked or, even worse, has been taken over by malware! That is what happened to a link I had used on a blog post in October (see https://geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com/2020/10/configure-msdtc-for-distributed.html ) and I had to scramble to be able to provide the information to write that blog post. 

At the time I wrote that post, I had totally forgotten about using the web version (as opposed to the cartoon version) of the Wayback Machine (https://web.archive.org/ ). I recently searched for the link that I had wanted to use in that October post and found many versions of it, because the web archive crawls many websites and takes snapshots of them at intervals, so one site can have many entries. Case in point, the blog post entry I was interested in was crawled 105 times between May 2015 and February 2020 (sometime after that point in time, it was compromised).

Anyway, here's a link to the archived post (and, I just updated my old October blog post with this link as well):

Have fun exploring the Wayback Machine!  =0) 

4 comments:

  1. If you find the Wayback Machine to be helpful, as I do several times a year, make a donation to the Internet Archive. It's a non-profit organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jay. I should definitely do that!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for showing the Wayback machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, LisaMarie! I hope you find something useful to use it for. =0)

      Delete